Friday, August 31, 2007

You're an Oak

He actually did it. Jim actually retired. He’s said he would before but I guess this time he did it the right way…he’s on vacation. Since he said he has retired and because he’s gone on vacation…I’ve moved into his office (insert your jokes here). Although Jim is not leaving Northview, I already miss having him around the office. He is an amazing mentor, brother, and friend.

Jim has taught me a lot over the past year. I know God has done so much through him in the lives of so many people over the years. This past year alone has been one of my biggest growing years because of the impact that God has had on my life through Jim. What I respect most about him is that he is a student of the Word. It is tempting at it age, I’m sure, to think you already know everything there is to know. I’ve even heard people say, “I know all of the important scriptures.”

Jim walked into my office one day with a certain look on his face holding his Bible. He asked me what the passage meant, to which I replied, “You’re the Elder. You tell me.” He reminded me that I was the Bible Major and I was supposed to have everything memorized (which I don’t). We joke a lot, but this one occasion will always stand out in my mind. He told me that he read that passage differently for the first time that day than he ever had in his life.
Have you ever looked at an old oak tree, strong and firm in the ground, and seen it grow? I saw Jim grow a little more that day. There are days, even years, when we all but refuse to grow. It is tempting to decide what we believe and never budge. Make sure you keep growing.

My professors were good about teaching us this. I often heard, “I am your professor but I am first and foremost a student of the Word.” I was blessed with humble teachers and mentors. I thank God for them and can only pray that I will continue to grow. Patsy Day, a spunky little old lady I met at one of my frequent coffee shops, reminded me of the verse in 1 Corinthians 8, “Knowledge puffs up.” Don’t ever think you cannot learn anymore. Keep growing.


“So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” – I Kings 3:9

“Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I believe in your commands.” – Psalm 119:66

“The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out.” – Proverbs 18:15

“Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.” – Proverbs 12:1

No comments: