Monday, August 27, 2007

end...beginning...whatever

I’m having a different feeling than I really ever had before. We had an amazing weekend last weekend. We camped, hiked, and saw tons of God’s beautiful artwork all around us. He is a good artist…you should check His work out sometime. We got to look through really expensive telescopes seeing exploding ring nebulas, Jupiter and her moons, star clusters at the edge of the galaxy, and many other incredible things that most of our eyes have never gazed upon outside of a textbook. None of these are what have caused the different feelings within me. We’ve had a great summer…I hope everyone else has the same feelings.

I’ve never had this feeling of “end” at the end of a summer. Other youth ministers probably have a good feeling what I’m talking about. As much as I’ve enjoyed all the times I’ve had with the teens this summer, they are going back to school and my life gets to calm down for a little bit. Despite popular belief this does not mean that I have nothing to do. I do work on Sundays and Wednesdays (a joke…just incase you are wondering if I do work at other times…I do…it is Friday and I’m writing this insert).

This brings me to the start of a new school year for our teens. Most of them have a candle that has been burning strong this summer. Then school starts. Different influences set in. Satan attacks. This is the hardest time of the year for a teen. Camps are done. Youth events are more spread out. Busyness sets in and God time often seems to be squeezed out of each day. Struggles get harder and we often start floundering. If you grew up in a youth group then you know what I’m talking about.

I’m calling on you, as brothers and sisters of these teenagers, to simply pray for them, take interest in them, keep them accountable, and talk to them every once in a while. They are actually real people who are capable of holding conversation…just ask anyone who has worked with them. They are interesting as well and a part of this family who we need to edify and build up as they start their new school year.

Ryan

No comments: