Monday, August 06, 2007

God...show yourself

I’ve been all over Scotland, throughout Germany, and down through Italy, with a few awe-inspiring places in between. The Highlands of Scotland was one of my favorite places to be. Words cannot describe the beauty that is found there. This weekend as I kayaked 15+ miles on the New River with the guys from the youth group and some men from the congregation, I strayed back a few times to be by myself and soak everything in around me. The breathtaking rolling hills filled with green grass and trees made me miss my time in Scotland. As I reminisced on the beauty that has flooded my two blessed eyes, I couldn’t help but sit in awe of a God who created all of it just for me to look at.

Sometimes I get my nose so down to the grind that I never take the opportunity to see where God is sharing Himself with me…like an artist painting for his love. God really cares about little ol’ me? Stars…I love to look at them, so much nothingness with little bursts of light ripping its way through space to these little eyes of mine. Why would God create these? I’ve come to believe that He’s done it for no other reason but to make me smile. It is hard for me to be out in God’s creation and not have a good time. I’m glad I was blessed to be with my brothers this weekend to share it with them…after all He created it for them too.

I love the section at the end of Isaiah 40 where it talks about God being the “everlasting God.” He calls out the starry host one by one because He can…He created them. I was standing on the ledge of a 200 ft cliff outside of Stonehaven, Scotland. It was about six foot wide between the fence and the cliff. I was standing there so that I could take a picture of Dunnattar Castle, which stands across the way on the same cliffs surrounding a beach. The scene is magnificent. This once mighty castle, sits in ruins with greenery all around, the sea behind it, and cliffs dropping below. This is the scene that reminds me of how mighty our God is. Sometimes we need to step away from the neat stuff that man has created, already laying in ruins, and admire how beautiful God has made things for us yesterday, today, and forever.

No comments: