Friday, August 17, 2007

God! I'm scared of the dark!

Do you remember being scared of the dark as a kid? Isn’t it funny how an ordinary room can dramatically change as soon as the lights go out? The coat on the door becomes a blood sucking ghost…The creaks of the bed are the voices of the monsters who are going to slurp your soul out of your body through your ears…The little chair in the corner quickly becomes a troll, with one eye bigger than the other, who is going to pluck ever hair out of your body one at a time…ok I think you get the point. When darkness happens…things come to life!

Needing to get away for some much needed alone time, I decided to do a “wee bit of hill walking” as they called it in Scotland. Starting atop Mount Mitchell I ventured deep into the black mountains along the Deep Gap Trail. I walked with a hurried pace, not neglecting the beautiful sun setting behind the mountains. You could see for miles…absolutely breathtaking! With the reality that the sun was setting, meaning that I would soon no longer have the brilliant light of the blazing sun I quickened my pace some more.

With my headlamp blazing the trail I reached what would become my campsite. I set up a little fire ring and built a fire…constantly looking around me to make sure nothing was nearby. After building the fire (not so much for warmth but more so to keep animals away) I strung up my backpack in a tree, set up my hammock, and climbed in. I won’t lie to you…I prayed that God would take my fears away. Every creak of a tree was a bear…the small tapping of my hammock on my arm was a wolf sniffing me to see if I was good for the eating…the forest was coming alive!

I think what God wanted me to learn that night was to be scared of the dark again. Sometimes we find ourselves in really dark places in this world but we’ve become so used to it that we don’t notice it anymore. The things in the dark are no longer real to us. I’ve been experiencing that in my life. I needed the reminder that even when everything seems so dark around us, there is a light within that burns with blazing fury to drive out all fear. I am calling all of us to raise one finger and repeat…“Hide it under a bushel? NO! I’m gonna let it SHINE!”

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” – John 1:1-5

“This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.” – John 3:19-21

1 comment:

d.j. iverson said...

hey brother, i just stumbled across your blog and now it seems a few hours have passed. these are some great posts, and have been a huge encouragement or me today. i'm glad to hear you're doing so well, and God is working so mightily in your life.

one love.