Monday, December 29, 2008

Caught the Garter...Again

I caught the garter…again. I’m two for two this year in my wedding to garter ratio. I know what a lot of you are thinking. I am supposed to get married within a year. Since I caught a second garter…does that buy me more time? I digress. The fact is I love going to weddings. This wedding was my best friend’s little sister. I have the deepest appreciation for their family and was delighted when it worked out that I got to be there to see this momentous event take place. She was glowing. He kept winking at her. Tears filled many of our eyes at the beautiful sight that was taking place before us. I hugged her, kissed her on the cheek, told her how beautiful she looked, and congratulated her. She was happy I could be there since I live so far away. I was happy I could be there.

I was sharing this event with a brother of mine who is a spiritual warrior that I respect so much. I was cracking jokes about catching the garter again when he said, “Ryan, I remember you saying a while ago that you’re the Bride of Christ.” He often exposes the spiritual side of the jokes that I am making. I appreciate him for that. Our conversation shifted directions. I’ve been pondering his comments. He’s helped me grow a little bit more.

I was at a wedding of two people that I care a lot about and I didn’t think I would be able to make it. Not only did I get to go to the wedding but I caught the garter. I got to participate in one of the great rituals of marriage with this wonderful couple. I wasn’t even supposed to be there because I live so far away.

I was reminded of the wedding banquet that we’ll have with Jesus. We aren’t worthy of being there. Not because of distance in miles but because of the distance of sin. Jesus doesn’t just invite us as guests but He invites us to be His Holy Bride. What an honor! What delight! He brought us such a great distance so we could take part in this wedding with Him.

If you we are the Bride of Christ, what does our dress look like? Does your life reflect what you want your dress to look like? By the Grace of God, He makes it white for us if we’ll let Him.

4 comments:

Sammie said...

That's a beautiful thought... that God pursues us as his bride. :)

Ryan Russell said...

It has taken me a while but I have come to grips with being a Bride

Anonymous said...

Catching the second garter cancels out the first one. So you're back at square one... ;)

Ryan Russell said...

Don't you forget it Matt...and tell everyone in my congregation that too. None of them believe me that the second cancels out the first.