Monday, October 27, 2008

Who Are You?

At a Youth Ministry conference I was at back in January, one of the speakers said something that has been very challenging for me. “You need to know who you are outside of being a minister,” is the comment that I’ve been struggling with for the past seven months. Ministry is my life. There isn’t much more to it than that. I began to have a better understanding when I was hiking on the Appalachian Trail. When you’re on the trail you are just a hiker. No one asks you who you are or what your vocation is. It isn’t often that I get to set “who I am” aside and just be Ryan.

We consume ourselves with identity and live accordingly. We are…doctors, nurses, teachers, students, retired, salesmen, etc. We get to a point that we cannot really see ourselves as anything else. What we do becomes our identity. There is a great need in our lives to be recognized as Children of God…to find our identity as Children. I can only speculate what life would be like if we were to fully embrace our identity as Children as our full identity…and then find ourselves working our jobs within the realm of this identity.

One of my favorite stories in British history is the story of King Canute the Great. His Nobles and Officers often praised how great he was. They showered him with praise so much that Canute grew tired of their foolish speeches. One day he was by the seashore, and his officers and nobles were with him…continuing to shower him with praise. He had them bring his throne to the waters edge. As he sat down he asked them, “Am I the greatest man in the world?” They called out, “Yes! There is no one as mighty as you.” He did this for a while to the point where he looked out at the water and cried out, “Sea, I command you to come no farther! Waves, stop your rolling, and do not dare to touch my feet!"

The tide came in as it always did. Water rising higher and higher till it came up around King Canute’s throne…wetting not only his feet but his robe as well. He then stood up, taking off his crown, he walked over to the sanctuary and laid it at the feet of Jesus on the cross. He turned to his nobles and officers and said, “I will never wear this crown again. There is only one King who is all-powerful. He is who shall be praised above all others.”

In order to know who I am outside of being a minister, I must lay that crown down at the feet of Jesus. Jesus challenges us to take up our cross and die to ourselves. Ultimately we must remove the crown of our identity and be identified as Children of God. We then look to God and say, “Where do you need me in your Kingdom?” He will make you whatever He needs you to be.

1 comment:

Ted said...

Great thought, Ryan.