Monday, October 06, 2008

Focus on the Light

I was sitting in a little office with my cute little blue hairnet on answering questions and cracking jokes about the possibility of my eyes getting bigger after my surgery when I was called into the next room. The nurse looked up at me, smiled and said, “Just look at the light” and handed me a little blue pill. Looking at a little light seemed like a simple thing to do so I went on with things.

After some tests I walked into a room filled with white-masked people whose eyes were smiling as they told me to lie down. The doctor kept repeating those same words to me as he informed me everything that was going on. “Just keep looking at the light” was all I had to do…what is this tape their putting on me…no just look at the light. This liquid feels funny…I can’t feel anything but I’m looking at the light…Is this sucking on my eye…its ok…focus on the light…that sure is an interesting brush touching my eye ball…then the light got dim…that’s when the lightning show started inside my eye…here comes the cold fluid and now I can see the light more clearly again…That wasn’t all that bad…Just kept looking at the light.

That was the first eye…then the valium kicked in and it was even harder to focus on the light. It really seemed like the light kept moving around on me the second time and I had to be reminded more often to keep focusing on the light. The reality is that the light stayed in the same place…I just kept getting distracted by all the little things coming into my view…and it didn’t help that I was a little more relaxed the second time.

The truth is that I find this to be true in my life on a regular basis. It seems so easy…Just look at the light. Nothing about getting distracted by all the things that come into view seem to have any benefit to my life at all yet distraction comes easily. Jesus said in John 8:12, “I AM the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” As distraction comes easily to each of us, let us encourage one another to “Just look at the Light” and everything will come out clear in the end.

3 comments:

katie said...

You're a good story teller. That was awesome.

Thanks for the encouragement, and yes it was a dam fine day! ha ha

katie said...

Oh yeah and I had to go a month and a half without my chacos, I'm very glad to have them now!

Ted said...

Great way to tell it.