Friday, June 12, 2009

Turn the Page

A page is turning. A chapter is closing. A new chapter is about to begin. I’ve always liked William Shakespeare’s quote: All the world’s a stage, and all men and women are merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts.” I like this quote because it really captures the Story that God is writing. We are merely players. Sometimes we like to think we are the Author of this Story but we’re merely players… and the reality is… we aren’t even the main characters. When the credits begin to roll we’ll fall somewhere between stunt double and boom operator.


When I moved out here, I had my whole story written out. My story was to be here a long while and them to move on to Scotland to do a church plant. I had the next 30 years of life written. Why are we so arrogant to think that we are the author of our own story? God has a way of reminding us that He is the Author of the Story and He will write our story within it...we just have to hand over our story board (Jim can hand over his flannel board).

I thank God that He has written the Family at Northview Church in Statesville, NC into my story as He writes my story into The Story. This major chapter in my life, though merely a sentence in The Story, has been a powerful chapter for me. I am thankful for each of them for the ways that you have helped me see God’s handwriting all around me. I look forward to see how God writes out the rest of the stories with The Story. Let Him be the Author of your life and follow Him wherever He takes you even when it isn’t where you thought you would ever go.


“The LORD bless you and keep you;

The LORD make his face shine up you and be gracious to you;

The LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.”

Numbers 6:24-26

3 comments:

Sammie said...

I definitely like to think I'm the author... or that I could write it better... or heaps of prideful things. You're right, though. Best wishes as you leave NC dude. I KNOW God is using you wherever you are.

Unknown said...

I'm glad God is writing a chapter that brings you closer to home. I know I to often try to write and everyone knows I don't do that very well.

Warren Baldwin said...

Great meeting you at LTC this weekend.

If you get a chance, visit my blog, Family Fountain.

wb